Currently, more fraudulent emails are being sent out requesting sellers to specify or update personal, financial or other account data (known as “phishing”).
Do not send sensitive personal information using email. Seller accounts will never ask you to send your account password or other confidential information, such as credit card numbers, in an email. They will always send you messages directly through your seller account site such as Amazon or eBay.
There are a few safety measures you can take to ensure you don’t fall victim to phishing scams and actions you can take to ensure your account is still secure.
To identify phishing emails:
– Check the sender’s complete email address, even if “Amazon” is included. Examples of phishing emails: addresses ending in @amazon-service.de or @amazonDE.de.
– Check for spelling or grammatical errors.
– Do not click any link in the email but enter the URL in your browser. Also check for spelling mistakes (e.g. amzon).
– Be cautious if you are asked to act urgently and are given a deadline (e.g. Your account will be automatically blocked).
– Check your email address. Amazon sends all messages to the email address stored in your seller account.
– Has a generic greeting like “Attention eBay Member.”
Report fake emails to Amazon/eBay:
– Send an email to email@example.com, attaching the original phishing email or for eBay firstname.lastname@example.org.
– If you cannot send the email as an attachment, forward it.
If you suspect your seller account has been compromised:
– Run an up-to-date virus software on your system.
– Change your login password immediately
– Contact Seller Support immediately
– Contact your bank or credit institution to set up a fraud alert.
– Check your seller account name and correct it if it has been changed.
– Check your inventoryand order reports to determine whether unknown items are available; delete them if necessary. If you use feeds, download the order file.
– Check your customer service and order notifications email addresses to make sure the correct ones are set.